Factors associated with overweight cats successfully completing a diet-based weight loss programme: an observational study



O'Connell, Erin M ORCID: 0000-0003-0400-9291, Williams, Maria, Holden, Shelley L, Biourge, Vincent and German, Alexander J ORCID: 0000-0002-3017-7988
(2018) Factors associated with overweight cats successfully completing a diet-based weight loss programme: an observational study. BMC Veterinary Research, 14.

[img] Text
Factors associated with overweight cats successfully completing a diet-based weight loss programme: an observational study.pdf - OA Published Version

Download (402kB)

Abstract

Background The most common approach for controlled weight loss in cats is dietary caloric restriction, using a purpose-formulated diet. Most previous studies have only assessed short-term outcomes, and no previous study has examined overall success (i.e. odds of reaching target weight). The aim of this study was to determine the factors associated with overweight cats successfully completing a diet-based weight loss programme to reach target weight. Results Sixty-two cats were included, and 28 (45%) completed their weight loss programme. The remaining 34 cats (55%) did not reach target weight, of which 2 (3%) were euthanised for unrelated reasons. Reasons for cats stopping the programme prematurely included inability to contact owner (n = 19), owner requested that the programme be completed prior to reaching target weight (n = 5), the cat developed another illness (n = 3), refusal to comply with requirements for weight management (n = 2), owner illness (n = 2), and personal issues of the owner (n = 1). Multiple logistic regression analysis revealed that rate of weight loss and weight loss required were positively (odds ratio [OR] 157.81, 95% confidence interval [CI] 10.00–2492.67) and negatively (OR 0.89, 95% CI 0.81–0.98) associated with the odds of completing the weight loss programme, respectively. Conclusions Future studies should consider developing better methods of supporting the owners of the most obese cats during weight management, since these cats are least likely to complete reach target weight.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Feline, Overweight, Obese, Weight loss, Caloric restriction, Outcomes
Depositing User: Symplectic Admin
Date Deposited: 15 Jan 2019 09:36
Last Modified: 13 May 2022 05:12
DOI: 10.1186/s12917-018-1740-5
Related URLs:
URI: https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/id/eprint/3031260