Influence of eye tilt on corneal densitometry

Consejo, Alejandra, Jimenez-Garcia, Marta, Rozema, Jos J and Abass, Ahmed ORCID: 0000-0002-8622-4632
(2022) Influence of eye tilt on corneal densitometry. OPHTHALMIC AND PHYSIOLOGICAL OPTICS, 42 (5). pp. 1032-1037.

Access the full-text of this item by clicking on the Open Access link.
[img] Text
Manuscript R1 REVISED.pdf - Author Accepted Manuscript

Download (269kB) | Preview


<h4>Purpose</h4>To investigate whether Pentacam densitometry readings are affected by corneal tilt.<h4>Methods</h4>In a prospective study, the right eyes of 86 healthy participants aged 42.8 ± 20.0 years (range 18-79 years) were imaged using Scheimpflug tomography. Elevation maps were exported to calculate corneal tilt using custom-made software, and densitometry readings were acquired directly from the corneal densitometry analysis add-on to the standard software Oculus Pentacam HR. Simple mediation analysis was applied to study age as a confounding factor in the correlation between corneal tilt and corneal densitometry.<h4>Results</h4>Corneal tilt and corneal densitometry are not independent from one another because age is significantly correlated with both corneal tilt (r = 0.50, p < 0.001) and corneal densitometry (r = 0.91, p < 0.001). Only 3.8% of the correlation between tilt and densitometry operates directly, while the remaining 96.2% depends on age.<h4>Conclusions</h4>Corneal tilt plays a role in corneal densitometry readings, even though the interaction is strongly influenced by age. Age is a well-known factor in densitometry readings that should be taken into consideration when interpreting Scheimpflug densitometry.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: cornea, corneal tilt, corneal transparency, densitometry, Pentacam
Divisions: Faculty of Science and Engineering > School of Engineering
Depositing User: Symplectic Admin
Date Deposited: 24 May 2022 10:47
Last Modified: 18 Jan 2023 21:01
DOI: 10.1111/opo.13020
Open Access URL:
Related URLs: